Buffalo Main Light, Buffalo, NY (there are actually five Buffalo lighthouses)
– The first Buffalo lighthouse was lighted in 1818, making it and the Land Lighthouse in Erie, Pennsylvania, the first official American lighthouses on the Great Lakes.
– With the opening of the Erie Canal and the increase in marine traffic, the lighthouse was inadequate.
– A new light was commissioned in 1833 and later heightened to 76 feet.
– The lighthouse, called the Buffalo Main Light, remained in service until 1914. It was restored in 1985 by the Buffalo Lighthouse Association.
– Best viewed from the Erie Basin Marina in Buffalo, but the Buffalo Lighthouse Association will conduct tours by reservation
If you like this video, please make sure to click the like button and share this with all your friends.